Updates by Email

Did you know you can receive my weekly updates right in your inbox? To receive my updates via email, enter your email address here:

Powered by Feed My Inbox

Hello from Orchard Ward South

Hello from the Orchard Ward South Area!

Yes, transfers have happened. Last Tuesday, I stood with Elder Andersen on the Northeast corner of the Willow Creek Ward, looking West to the super-rich area adjacent to us, and commented "I'm so glad I don't have to deal with those people!"

Well, at that exact moment, President's "I need to send Elder Watkins to that super-rich area" senses started tingling, and now, after a short jump across Holly, I am in the most financially successful area in the mission-- the home of many Broncos players and multi-millionaires. Contrary to my expectations, however, people seem very polite and willing to at least talk to us for a while. The work is going to increase this next transfer as we continue tracting, teaching, and spreading the message of the Gospel.

I'm here serving with Elder Harper from Paul, Idaho (Never heard of it? Neither has anyone else ☺). He's been in the mission all of 6 weeks, a greenie from his small 650-person farm town. He's a good kid and a hard worker with a powerful spirit.

We had a huge storm yesterday (sorry Leah-- your letter did get rather wet). I actually had a hunch that I ought to bring my umbrella, so I was prepared-- it was awesome. Huge thunderclaps-- wow. Unfortunately it didn't last long enough to try out my idea: we timed the flash to the boom at about 7 seconds, and we figured we could knock a door at just the right time, and shout "REPENT!" such that our command would be echoed with the reverberating crash of heaven (Isn't there a scripture about "after your testimony" coming the testimony of lightnings and storms?). =)

This was all good, until it flash-flooded and a monsoon-like downpour soaked us.... well, more my companion =). Then the hail started coming, so a guy let us take safe harbor in his garage for a few minutes while water and ice fell in buckets.

But rain or shine or dark of night (all of which are apparently possible simultaneously in Colorado), we will go forth and do this, the Lord's work. I know that this church is true. I know that Joseph Smith is a Prophet of God, and that God called him to do His work. I know that the Bible is true, and that the Book of Mormon truly is another witness, another testament of Jesus Christ. I know my Savior lives, and that He is in this work, helping us and guiding us every day of this fantastic journey. I have seen too many miracles to doubt.

OK, quick Mormon joke:

Question: What was the song that the Beach Boys wrote for the Salt Lake
pioneers?
Answer: ♪ I Wish They All Could Be California Gulls

Have a great week, and enjoy the summer!